Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hi, I'm Jamie

I was imagining a conversation between two people who haven't seen each other in years and how they might introduce themselves, and for some reason I had them re-introducing themselves based on the religion that each is practicing now. That imaginary conversation took me to a feeling of restriction inside myself. For most of my life I wanted to introduce myself as a Jew, Catholic, Buddhist, etc. I needed to feel part of a people or an organized religion to inform me as to who I am. I still feel a bit of envy over one of my dear friend's religious faith, it is so beautiful, pure, and confident.

How would I introduce myself to someone I hadn't seen in twenty years or someone I'm meeting for the first time? "Hi, I'm Jamie." That's it I'm Jamie. I do yoga; I have wonderful friends; I write; I have bipolar disorder. Basically I think it all comes back to "I'm Jamie." Being Jamie feels expansive. I'm no longer part of any group, and somehow that's all okay, because I still exist as I am without labels. I suppose you could strip away the Jamie and we would come to something even deeper, richer. But for now I think I'm going to stick with the beautiful essence of being an ordinary human being, having a not so ordinary experience of life in this world. For the first time in my life I don't feel the need to call myself or be anyone other than I am, Jamie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment