Sunday, March 8, 2015

Commitments Part 2

When I started writing this blog I committed to posting something new every day. That didn't happen. That was a commitment that I made to myself, not to someone else. I knew I couldn't maintain what I had committed myself to. There are days when I feel uninspired and depressed and on those days it's next to impossible for me to find anything to write about.

The birds are chirping outside my window and a soft breeze blows in. I feel good and calm. I have compassion for myself and I'm sorry that I set myself up for "failure" with this commitment. But I didn't really fail, one of the main themes of the blog is embracing ourselves flaws and all. So, there's no failure with not being able to come up with something new on a daily basis.

There are times when we need to let go of commitments that don't serve us or others, and sometimes so that we don't let other people down, we keep commitments that may seem good for the other person but ultimately aren't good for us. This is where discernment is important. My yoga teacher asks the question, "does it uplift," and I think that's a pretty great place to start self-inquiry. Is this commitment going to uplift me or bring me down. Maintaining the blog every day would uplift the part of me that wants to keep in touch with people, but the part of me that needs to know I'm okay even if I can't perform that day suffers because I'm working under the illusion of perfectionism.

I don't have to be perfect, you don't have to be perfect. We have to show up and do our best and have the wisdom to know when to stop and when to rest. The past few days I've rested from the blog, and that my friends is self-kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment